Monday, May 5, 2008

First Blog Entry and Bio

Hi everyone!

So this is my first attempt at a blog (yay!). My intentions in starting this blog is to easily communicate everything I learn with respect to orphans in Ukraine and let you know about the different initiatives aimed at helping orphans.

First off, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Katya and I have been involved with Ukrainian orphans since 2005. From 2006-2007, I lived in Ukraine doing a Fulbright focused on studying the impact of social institutions on disabled Ukrainian orphans. While in Ukraine, I worked closely with Children of Chornobyl Relief and Development Fund (CCRDF) and Maryana Voronovych (director of orphanage programs). During my time in Ukraine, I met a lot of dedicated individuals and organizations working with orphans in Ukraine, I traveled to different orphanages, and I amassed A LOT of information.

Now a year has gone by and I'm still drawn to what is going with those kids and I want to continue to help, so hence a blog to create awareness and get more people involved that want to help.

I am going to be posting information about Ukrainian orphans, ideas to help the children, contacts and organizations, my involvement, and anything else pertinent to this issue.

Get excited!

No comments: