Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Meeting in Dobb's Ferry

I am really excited to be back on the bandwagon and telling people about the status of Ukrainian orphans. Last night, I spoke to a group of women who belong to a Ukrainian Women's Association called Coyuz Ukrainoik. They asked me to speak and talk about my Fulbright experience in Ukraine and any information I had on orphans.

I believe that many Ukrainian Americans are aware of what is going in orphanage, but it is still tough news to share. My chats never end on a very uplifting note, even when I try to stay positive. Still, I think its really important to inform the international community. Also, the more I speak out about, the more I better understand what's going on or learn to practice explaining it.

Still, I have difficulty communicating. I often find that when I answer any question relating to orphans, there is a general answer with a million exceptions and unknowns. For example, " Are these truly orphans, do they have parents?" Answer: "Well yes, but some children do have parents who are unable to care for them. So they may come visit on weekends, once a month or once a year. Or maybe they'll just drop into the child's life out of nowhere asking to take the child home." Its hard to have one outcome in these cases because each child has an individual story and background. That's life I guess- often, unpredictable. And that's Ukraine, often random and chaotic.

I think that helping orphans in Ukraine is an important project for the Ukrainian diaspora. As a large community of different talents and backgrounds, we can collaborate to alleviate the adversity these children face. My hope is that you reading this blog will become interested and even devise your own projects and make your own connections. And of course, email me your feedback or comment.

Additionally, last night I met a woman who adopted two children from Ukraine. Her children are 16 now and thriving. She explained that there were definitely things to overcome when she first brought her children to the US and they had to undergo an extensive rehabilitation and medical evaluation. I commend parents who adopt from Ukraine. Adopting a child is very emotional and physically draining process, not to mention expensive.

I would love feedback from parents who adopt children in Ukraine and abroad. What are your thoughts about the process? Why do you think its so expensive. I would like to dedicate an entry on this, but first I would love to hear your thoughts. Comment below.

2 comments:

the drag family said...

I am completely impressed with your work Katya. I am a mum with a two year old and one year old and looking to adopt in a couple of years so am very interested in what you are saying.I wonder what it's like to adopt from Ukraine to Australia, I am under the impression it's slightly more complicated than the states.

Katya Kosiv said...

I am so glad to hear that you are interested in adopting. Hmmm, adoption in Ukraine for foreigners can be quite difficult and expensive, but there are organizations out there that lend support. Holt International is an organization that has been involved with Ukrainian adoptions, you can check them out for more info:

Holt International Ukraine


I will continue to post about support groups and different organizations that may be helpful for those interested in adopting.